One of the biggest misconceptions in the world of fashion is about wearing hats. That misconception is that only certain people with certain head shapes and face shapes can wear hats. WRONG. Nothing could be further from the truth. Hats can be scary, but we are going to teach you why you should brave the outfit opportunities that come with being a hat person. Have no fear, there is a hat out there for everyone.
The best part about being a hat person is that hats instantly transform any look. It is one of the simplest and quickest ways to take your outfit from drab to fab and the best addition for any #ootd, especially on those bad hair days.
There are so many reasons to be hat person and here are just a few:
1. Hello, your "in between hair wash, just got home from the gym, dry shampoo to the max" look will thank you. Forget that dry shampoo and baby powder, your greasy hair is making it a few more days with the help of a good baseball cap or a fedora.
Hat: Moe Baseball Cap
2. Once you find a hat that fits you perfectly, you'll never look back. Your hats should always sit squarely on your head and cover most of your forehead unless we're talking the Ginger or Dahlia which rest nicely on the crown of your head.
3. There's no such thing as "in season" when it comes to hats. For a tried and true style, choose a hat that fits with any season like a classic fedora or straw hat that translate from sweaters to shorts. Grabbing one of these classic styles is a sure fire way to get you on the Gigi Pip train.
4. With the incorporation of a hat into your wardrobe, you can keep your outfits a little more simple and basic. Hats carry a lot of weight in your look, so create that balance with a minimalistic approach to your outfit.
5. Going back to the topic of hat hair, with a wide brim like the Emma or Scottie, it is easier to embrace your natural hair. Whether it's pin straight or textured beach waves, you can wear it long and loose, in a low ponytail or bun and even a loose braid on the side. The hairstyle + hat possibilities are endless.
So if you weren't already a Gigi Pip hat convert, you better be now. We would love to hear what you love about being a #hatperson. Let us know in the comments!
Women's hat sizes are fairly intuitive. The average women's head size measures around 57cm. If you are unsure of your hat size the Gigi Pip small/medium hat would be the best starting point. The small/medium hat size is made to fit 57cm + can be adjusted down to 55cm. If you know you have a slightly larger head go with the 59cm size. As far as Gigi Pip sizing goes this is a medium/large, made to fit a 59cm head size + then can be adjusted down to 57cm. The largest size Gigi Pip offers is a 61 cm, labeled as an XL, like our other sizes the 61 can be sized down to 59 cm. For women who feel they have a slightly smaller head than normal we recommend an XS which begins at 55cm + can be sized down to 53 cm. In select styles we offer kids sizing which begins at 53 cm + can be adjusted to 51 cm.
In short- the most common hat size is a S/M (57cm). While this is the most common hat size, remember that properly sizing your Gigi Pip hat will ensure the best fit.
There are two primary methods of measuring your hat size + are based on the style in which you wear your hat. You will need to take both measurements (shown below) + then use the larger of the two measurements to determine your hat size. Once you've received your hat, you can decide how you would like to wear it + adjust your hat size accordingly.
TIP: If you don't have a textile measuring tape, use a string or piece of yarn to measure the distance around your head. After you have marked the yarn around your head, lay it out flat on the ground or table + measure the straightened out piece of yarn with a measuring stick or regular measuring tape.
Adjustable Inner Band Instructions
Flip up the sweatband to find the Velcro tab + pull to tighten. Velcro the ribbon back in place to secure your desired fit. The adjustable band can adjust the hat up to 5 cm when necessary! Some helpful tips about our adjustable inner band-
Hat Sizing Tape Instructions
Hat sizing tape is an additional option for tightening the fit of your hat. Place the foam tape on the inside of your hat, behind the sweatband, with the sticky side facing towards the hat wall. Wrap the tape completely around the hat for maximum size decrease or cut tape length in half for a more moderate decrease. Size to fit prior to removing the adhesive cover. Once the fit is correct, remove the adhesive cover, press firmly into place, and wa-lah.
For more questions about hat sizing, please contact Gigi Pip at email@example.com.